Written by Body Talk: www.capetownbodytalk.co.za
Wellness is an active process, where you become aware of the choices that you are making towards a healthy and fulfilling life. It is striving for complete physical, mental, emotional, spiritual and social well being; it is not just the absence of disease.
We know that lifestyle plays a huge part in living a healthy life, but most of our attention is centred on the physical aspects. We spend hours in the gym or following new diets online but we don’t address that which is the most important, our mental and emotional wellbeing.
Studies have been done which suggests that only 20% of what affects our body is physical. The other 80% is our beliefs and attitudes around our reality.
The mind- body connection has been an area of scientific research over the last two decades. There are research programs (Mayo Clinic) which study the effectiveness of using mind-body techniques to reduce anxiety. There have been discoveries that indicate that white blood cells alter their function, diminishing their ability to fight infection, when subjected to stressful emotions. There have been documented cases of how hypnosis can control pain.
We are not just a physical body; we are thoughts, attitudes and emotions. It is all connected. Health and disease are an interplay of the emotional, mental, physical and spiritual bodies. These are all impacted by the environment that we live in and the circumstances we grew up in.
Our minds and feelings influence our health and our health in turn impacts on our minds. Our body’s have an amazing capacity to heal themselves. This does not mean that medication isn’t necessary or doctors should be avoided. Sometimes the communication between the mind-body has broken down to such an extent that the only solution is a doctor’s visit, medication or an operation.
But remember that medication treats the symptom. The surgeon or doctor repairs with an operation, but the body is the one that heals itself, it knits the bones, it regenerates healthy cells to help fight the virus and the fevers. Healing comes from within.
It is imperative that we keep our bodies healthy and strong, but it is equally important that we keep our minds healthy and strong. Our thoughts create our reality. Think about how you feel when you are stressed. The churning in your stomach, the headache in your temples, these are physical signs of mental /emotional distress.
What is the best way to achieve wellness; work around the laws of nature. Strengthen your immune system by getting enough sleep, eating healthy foods, practicing mindfulness, make a choice every morning to be optimistic, exercise and laugh.
Chronic thoughts of frustration, anger, worry, fear, sadness and dissatisfaction will lodge in your body as chronic disease. Disease or illness should be seen as the body’s way of highlighting what is out of balance. It should be seen as a wake-up call for us to change our old ways of thinking or old life style habits.
Often the body will warn us of an imbalance by sending a subtle message of unease and if we are mindful and in tune with our bodies we will pick up on the imbalance before it becomes more serious.
Approach the discomfort with gratefulness, knowledge and love. Reach for healing through greater inner awareness and balance, changing and addressing destructive emotional patterns, letting go of resentments, forgiving yourself and others, letting go of childhood hurts and adjusting your lifestyle and eating habits to align to the new you
Take responsibility for your health and wellbeing, it will be the best investment you can make.