This crumbly shortbread recipe comes from Beatrice Tollman, President and founder of the Red Carnation Hotel Collection and is either served atop an an afternoon tea stand or as a delicious Turndown treat at The Oyster Box and The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa.
340g plain/all-purpose flour
95g caster sugar
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Place the butter into the freezer for a few hours before starting to make the shortbread.
- Grate the frozen butter and mix with the dry ingredients.
- Mix the butter, flour and salt together until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs (don’t over mix).
- Line a square 23cm pan with parchment paper and pour in the mixture, pressing down slightly to flatten the top (it should be about 3cm high).
- Bake at 120°C for 55 minutes.
- Sprinkle with a little sugar when it comes out of the oven. Let the shortbread cool completely before cutting (overnight is best).
This recipe was taken from ‘A Life in Food’, which details Beatrice Tollman’s career creating both savoury and sweet dishes for guests for over 60 years.
Picture from: https://www.foodfaithfitness.com/